Re: [AMBER] Sander MPI running over multiple nodes.

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:08:48 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Robinson, Roger
<Roger.Robinson.evotec.com> wrote:

> The interconnects aren't great on the HPC system.

Unless you have something like Infiniband your scaling across nodes is
going to be poor at best.

> There are some benchmarks here->
> http://ambermd.org/amber10.bench1.html

Those benchmarks are for pmemd,MPI, which is the performance-tuned MD
engine. Sander has a lot more functionality but does not scale nearly
as well (as you are finding out).

> But I thought I would ask for some advice here.
> I am running in groups of 8 processes per node (8ppn).
>
> Would running in smaller/larger groups be better / worse.

A long time ago I remember sometimes getting better scaling by running
with fewer processors per node, the idea being to reduce the IO
bandwidth across the interconnect. You could experiment with that.

-Dan