[AMBER] A good multi GPU work-station

From: James Starlight <jmsstarlight.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:46:40 +0200

Dear Amber Users!

I wonder to ask your suggestions regarding an optimal system for the
upper middle-range multi-GPU work-station. Now I have some a good HP
desktop (HP Z420)
equipped with the following devises:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.60Ghz 10MB 1600 4C
6GB DDR3-1600 ECC
NVIDIA Quadro 600 1GB Graphics

To adapt this machine for MD simulations I would like to install 64 GB
of the RAM and put 2-3 new GPUs. Due to my scientific tasks I need to
run 2-3 independent MD jobs with Amber for simulations of the GPRC
systems (60.000 atoms, with membrane in NPT ensemble), assuring that I
would like to obtain performance in order of 50 ns/day

For my case will it be good to replace existing QUADRO 600 on
up-to-date gamers GTX cards (e.g GTX 1080 or TITAN X) or prefer a
modern QUADRO (M6000) with a less gpu memory?

I thank you so much for the suggestions!

Gleb