Re: [AMBER] tleap atom type and hybridization

From: Lizelle Lubbe <LBBLIZ002.myuct.ac.za>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:56:58 +0000

Dear Pengfei and David,

Thanks for the helpful information.

> The PDB standard is to put the element into columns 77-78 of the ATOM or HETATM line. Are you perhaps using an old version of AmberTools?
I am using AmberTools 15

>I'm somewhat confused here: PDB files don't contain any hybridization information in them. It sounds like you may be describing the hybridization assigned by the visualization program.
Yes, I was describing the visualization program's assignment, but it probably doesn't matter then since I'm using the mol2 and frcmod from MCPB.py

> Use a text editor to check your pdb file, and see if the element information is in the correct place.
I've checked the leap input pdb file again and although it all seems to be fine (changed Cl- to CL in column 77) it still displays a carbon.

HETATM12492 H2O 0fA 720 -35.331 -14.332 -7.397 1.00 0.00 H
TER
HETATM12493 ZN ZN1 721 -27.766 -21.998 -36.628 1.00 0.00 ZN
TER
HETATM12494 CL CL 722 -18.015 -27.711 -36.880 1.00 0.00 CL
TER
ATOM 12495 O WT1 723 -27.107 -20.515 -34.545 1.00 0.00 O

After running pdb4amber on it, however, it correctly displays a chlorine ion

Using this as input for leap gives pdb output files that correctly display a chloride ion with formal charge of -1. The corresponding prmtop and rst7 visualization in VMD still gave C with no charge. Could you please help me to understand why this is the case? Would the ff14SB forcefield correctly type CL instead of C during the MD?

Kind regards

Lizelle Lubbe

PhD (Medical biochemistry) candidate
Department of Integrative Biomedical Sciences
University of Cape Town