Re: [AMBER] Duplicate random seeds with ig=-1 Code enhancement to think about, perhaps

From: David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 16:20:28 -0400

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017, Adrian Roitberg wrote:

> One can, but again, that is system dependent, so we do not want to
> depend on that.

I'm lost here: we expect the results for ig=-1 to be system dependent, since
surely gettimeofday() is implemented in different ways on different hardware.

The key design goal is not to end up with duplicate seeds; once you have a
seed, it gets printed in the output file, and you can use that to re-run the
job if needed.

But whether or not the particular seed chosen is system dependent or not seems
irrelevant(?)

Here's my idea: we set up a web server that keeps a list of all seeds that
have ever been used for any Amber simulation. Then pmemd can interrogate that
database at startup, and make sure that it is using a seed that has never been
used before.

....dac