Re: [AMBER] mdgx extracting energies

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 00:23:53 -0400

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! Here's what happening. The energies are
not being extracted in random order, but rather an order which matches the
resulting trajectory. In this sense, the energies will be properly
attributed to each conformation so long as you read the energies_mdgx.dat
file along with the trajectory. Try converting the coordinates Coords.cdf
to PDB / ascii and verifying that the frames match:

cat > conv.ptrj << EOF
trajin Coords.cdf
trajout Coords.pdb pdb
go
EOF

There should be no problem, I've checked over this specifically. Back when
I did this same chore with a python script, the ordering got mangled by the
imported glob library. When I actually sat down to write it in proper C
code, I began to see the issues. At bottom, the computer doesn't
alphabetize or numeratize things the way you do. If you wish to see under
the hood, look in AmberTools/src/mdgx/Parse.c for DirectoryFileSearch(),
and find the following:

  while ((ent = readdir(dir)) != NULL) {
  }

It's that ent = readdir() operation that I'm reliant upon, which glob is
probably reliant upon, and which you might use yourself if you need to
write a directory scanning function at some time in the future. It will
list each file in the directory, but not in the order you might expect. I
simply make sure to extract coordinates and energies from one file at a
time and keep them in the order they were read, while culling the bad data
points.

Try running a simple parameterization with energies_mdgx.dat and
Coords.cdf, and you should be able to get sane results (errors <= 3-4
kcal/mol once you include all the parameters relevant to the configurations
you've generated). Let me know if you don't!

Dave