Re: [AMBER] Is explicit solvent more accurate than implicit solvent?

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 09:52:09 -0400

Hi,

If you actually look at the computational cost of explicit solvent
simulations with PME they can be comparable to GB simulations
(particularly for larger solutes), especially if you're using GPUs.
The real "savings" you get from implicit solvent simulations is in
sampling since the water is just a field that can relax instantly to
changes in solute conformation - you don't have to "push" water out of
the way to move around. Implicit solvent can be fine for some systems,
but can also give poor results for certain molecular "shapes" (because
they don't handle anisotropy well), or for highly charged systems
(boundary effects), or for system where structural waters may be
important, etc. Also, many implicit solvent models have a poor
description of the nonpolar component of the solvation energy (surface
area only based terms are not where you want to be), which can matter
if you expect your solute to change shape (e.g. during
folding/unfolding).

Just my $0.02...

-Dan