Re: [AMBER] cuda vs. mpi vs. mpi-cuda

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 08:15:31 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Vidhya Srivatsan
<vidhyasri1609.gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. MPI / CUDA is soime sort of heterogeneous computing where some processes
> are done in CPU and some in GPU

I'd just like to clarify this point a bit. In the MPI/CUDA version the
majority of the calculation is still done on the GPU, as with the
serial CUDA version. The difference is that you can spread the
calculation across GPUs (peer-to-peer) and/or run multiple instances
on different GPUs for e.g. ensemble methods like REMD, where each
replica can have it's own GPU/GPUs.

Hope this helps,

-Dan