Re: [AMBER] cuda vs. mpi vs. mpi-cuda

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 16:11:13 -0400

pmemd.cuda is a separate code from pmemd (Fortran). The CUDA code depends
on the Fortran code to do administrative things, but all of the work is
done on the GPU, including force calculations, particle propagation, and
pressure computations. The CPU orders the GPU "compute the forces," then
"move the particles," and perhaps "rescale the box." The GPU then reports
"done." Multiple GPUs can be employed for these tasks, and the GPUs
communicate over the SLI interface in pmemd.cuda.mpi. I believe the MPI
code also uses multiple CPUs, but this is beside the point.

Dave