Re: [AMBER] TI free energy calculation errors

From: Sumudu Leelananda <sumudu.leelananda.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 15:22:53 -0400

Dear Hannes

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, I only got a part of your reply and
don't see the full reply on the archives yet. Yes. I'm using a similar
multisite Calcium model but the number of dummy atoms is different than
Sept Model you provided the link to.

In PEMED I had 2 Ca ions in the restraint step (residue numbers 90 and 91).
What I do is restraint 90 at the end of the restraint step. Then in
the charge step remove the charge from 91 and in the vdW step totally
remove 91. PEMED calculations worked without any issues. Issues arise for
Sander.

In Sander which I'm doing now, I didn't see the need to have two copies
like that so I only have 90.

What I do is, I first calculate the free energy change for removing Ca from
protein/water [dG1] and then calculate free energy change for removing Ca
from a plain water box [dG2]. To calculate the free energy change of
binding Ca to protein I subtract the two numbers [dG1-dG2].

Removing Ca from protein/water has 3 substeps, addition of restraints,
removal of charge and removal of vdW interactions.

Removing Ca from water has 2 substeps, removal of charge and removal of vDW
interactions.

Thank you!