Re: [AMBER] Internal dielectric constant and pmemd

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:26:37 -0400

Sam:

you said that:

"I need to change the dielectric constant of water in
this droplet from 78.5 to 1 and at the same time preserve the vacuum."

And what I am telling you is that the dielectric constant of your system is already equal to 1 for the water, so I do not understand what your issue is.
There is nothing to change from 78.5 to 1, it is already 1.

adrian

On 4/21/17 9:21 AM, Samaneh Ghassabi Kondalaji wrote:
> I understand what igb=6 does to my system in terms of dielectric
> constant and I actually need the value of one as I am in vacuum, but Is
> there ANY way in pmemd that I can have two different dielectric constants (
> it seems unrealistic but it is what it has to be!).
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.ufl.edu> wrote:
>
>> The dielectric constant of your system will be ONE without you doing
>> anything.
>>
>> The fact that you are using igb=6 immediately does that, and the fact
>> that you have water molecules does not make any difference.
>>
>> adrian
>>

>> On 4/21/17 9:11 AM, Samaneh Ghassabi Kondalaji wrote:
>>> Yes, it seems very confusing but my system is a peptide in a large
>>> water droplet (~3.0 nm in diameter) present in vacuum and I need the
>> water
>>> molecules to leave the system gradually. I use igb=6 so I can use pmemd
>> for
>>> vacuum simulations. I need to change the dielectric constant of water in
>>> this droplet from 78.5 to 1 and at the same time preserve the vacuum.
>> Can I
>>> just do it with dielec or I will need external, internal dielectric
>>> parameters?
>>> Best