[AMBER] QM/MM equilibration before SMD in vacuum

From: Samaneh Ghassabi Kondalaji <saghassabikondalaji.mix.wvu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:04:21 -0400

Dear Amber Users and Developers
   I am attempting to run a Steered MD simulation (SMD) (QM/MM at DFTB) in
order to calculate the pKa value of a single amino acid residue in vacuum.
It is worth mentioning that my unusual system is a triply-charged peptide
with four Lysine residues carrying the charges that represents the solution
phase charge states (LYS: -NH3+) even though my simulation is in vacuum. I
am trying to monitor the CV value (http://ambermd.org/tutorials/
advanced/tutorial10/) between the NZ atom on Lysine 12 and an Oxygen atom
of a single tip3p water. In order to generate the system I solvated the
peptide in a tip3p water box, using vmd determined the closest water
molecule to one of the HZ atoms (-NH3+ Lysine 12), using cpptraj stripped
all the water molecules except the target water and performed an energy
minimization in vacuum. Using the fallowing parameters in the input file, I
run a QM/MM equilibration in vacuum with QM mask on the target Lysine and
the single water molecule:

LYS12H2O: qmmm equilibration MD
 &cntrl
  imin = 0,
  irest = 0,
  ntx = 1,
  ntb = 0,
  cut = 20.0,
  tempi = 300.0,
  temp0 = 300.0,
  ntt = 3,
  gamma_ln = 1.0,
  ntf = 2, ntc = 2, tol = 0.00001,
  dt = 0.0005,
  ntpr = 100, ntwr=100, ntwx = 100,
  nstlim = 500000,
  ifqnt = 1,
  nmropt = 1,
 /
 &qmmm
  qmmask=':12, 23', !QM region mask LYS 12 and a SINGLE WATER, residue 23
  qmcharge=3, ! Total charge of the peptide
  qm_theory='DFTB',
  qmshake=0,
  tight_p_conv=0,
  scfconv = 0.100E-08,
  qmcut= 20.0,
  writepdb=1,
 /
 /
 &wt type='DUMPFREQ', istep1 = 5000,
 /
 &wt type='END',
 /
DISANG=Dist_RST.dat
DUMPAVE=Dist_vs_time
LISTIN=POUT
LISTOUT=POUT

​my Dist_RST.dat file contains:
#
# 12 LYS NZ 23 WAT O 2.5
 &rst
 iat= 139,270, r1= 2.4, r2= 2.5, r3= 2.5, r4= 2.6, rk2=1000.0,
rk3=1000.0,
 /​
​However, when I run the equilibration, I get this warning (output file is
attached)
 QMMM SCC-DFTB: !!!! ============= WARNING ============= !!!!
 QMMM SCC-DFTB: Convergence could not be achieved in this step.
 QMMM SCC-DFTB: The calculation will continue, but energies and
 QMMM SCC-DFTB: forces for this step will not be accurate.

I carefully tried changing the DFTB_TELEC value to 100, But I am still
getting the same warning. I don't know at this point if the simulation
parameters need to be changed or there is something wrong with my initial
structure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Sam

--
*Samaneh ghassabi kondalaji*