Re: [AMBER] GPU performance

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 19:26:41 -0400

Hi Sofia,

You could also use H mass repartitioning. Run the prmtop through parmed witht he HMassRepartition action. Then increase your timestep to 4fs. That will get you about an 85% or so performance boost.

That said the numbers you report for a 260K atom system are on the low side, even with a 10 angstrom cutoff so something else is up. Can you try running the AMBER 16 benchmark on the machines you are using and see if you get similar numbers to here:

http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm <http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm>

Here's the benchmark suite: http://ambermd.org/Amber16_Benchmark_Suite.tar.bz2 <http://ambermd.org/Amber16_Benchmark_Suite.tar.bz2>

Set edit the run_bench_CPU+GPU.sh, set CPU_COUNT=0 and GPU_COUNT=1 (assuming you have just 1 GPU in each machine). Then run it with:

./run_bench_CPU+GPU.sh >& bench.log &

tail -f bench.log

I'd be interested in the performance you get - if this is substantially below what's on the AMBER website then your installation needs some more investigation.

All the best
Ross