Re: [AMBER] GB Methodology for Nucleic Acid to calculate Internal energy

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:17:39 -0400

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017, Ramin Salimi wrote:

> I am trying to use GB/SA model to calculate the internal energy
> of my DNA molecule by stripping water molecules from the solvated
> trajectory. But I do not know the updated GB/SA methodology. And I
> checked the references in Amber16 manual and it refers to the following:
>
> Tsui, V.; Case, D. Molecular dynamics simulations of nucleic acids
> using a generalized Born solvation model. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2000, 122,
> 2489–2498
> Tsui, V.; Case, D. Theory and applications of the generalized
> Born solvation model in macromolecular simulations. Biopolymers
> (Nucl. Acid. Sci.), 2001, 56, 275–291

The best thing to read is Chapter 4 of the 2016 Reference Manual (and you
should go ahead and download/install AmberTools16.) We recommend using igb=8
for both proteins and nucleic acids.

> I would really appreciate if one can give me guidance on updated GB/SA
> methodology( if there is any) and how to implement it through the
> control variables? Is the internal energy shown as EGB in each step in
> the output file?

EGB is the estimated solvation free energy, which is added to all the other
terms to get the total potential energy.

> I am using Amber14 and have checked the directory
> amber14/test/gbsa_xfin. But I am not sure if this is the input file that
> I should be applying to my system.

That is a good example input, but see the comments above about igb. Tutorial
B3 also walks you through running a GBSA simulation.

...hope this helps...dac