[AMBER] 3 GPUs ?

From: Chris Neale <candrewn.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 20:43:01 -0600

Dear AMBER users:

I have a system with ~ 200,000 atoms that scales quite well on 4 GPUs on a
DGX machine with Amber16. I now have access to a different node for testing
purposes that has 3 Tesla P100 GPUs. I find that 1 GPU gives 21 ns/day, 2
GPUs give 31 ns/day and 3 GPUs give 21 ns/day. Strange thing is that 2 GPUs
gives a consistent speed when I use GPUs 0,1 or 1,2 or 0,2 -- leading me to
think that there is PCI-based peer-to-peer across all 3 GPUs (though I
don't know how to verify that). So then why does performance drop off with
3 GPUs? I don't currently have the ability to re-test with 3 GPUs on a DGX,
though I will look into testing that, since it could give a definitve
answer.

I'm wondering whether there is something obviously inherent to the code
that doesn't like 3 GPUs (vs. 2 or 4)? Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help,
Chris.