Re: [AMBER] what hardware is required for gou peer-ro-peer an how imporant is gpu-to-gpu nvlink

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 00:27:13 -0400

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
wrote:

> At the end of the day, even with NVLINK and only 2 GPUs, the parallel
> efficiency is still a tad underwhelming (although it will be better for GB
> which utilizes a crappier-scaling algorithm that nonetheless is more easily
> parallelized).

​I should have looked farther down the list of benchmarks -- the large (25K
atom nucleosome) GB simulation nearly doubles the performance of 1 GPU by
using 2 GPUs, and in this case NVLink has very little effect. Of course,
P2P already gets nearly perfect scaling, so there's not much for NVLink to
improve upon.​

But as I said, GB has much worse scaling properties (computational
complexity is O(N^2)) than PME (computational complexity scales as O(N
logN)). By contrast, a PME simulation with close to 25K atoms runs 437.03
ns/day with a 2fs timestep compared to 23.7 ns/day in GB...

All the best,