Re: [AMBER] CpHMD – Effect of explicit ions when calculating the pKa of model compounds

From: Eric Lang <eric.lang.bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 13:22:16 +0000

Hello,

This post is partly a reply to my previous post but also extends on it.

I decided to test more carefully the effect of having explicit Na+ and Cl-
ions at a concentration of 0.1 M with the model compounds for Lys, His, Glu
and Cys (shamelessly the titrable residues I am currently interested in).

To do this, I prepared the systems ACE-X-NNE (where X is the titrable
residue) and solvated them in a 20 A TIP3P solvent buffer and added 7 or 6
explicit Na+ and Cl- ions (depending on the number of water molecules added
to solvate the residues of interest). After minimisation, heating and
equilibration, I ran a 10 ns CpHMD simulation at pH=pKa and then pH-REMD at
pH = pKa ± 0.1 pKa ± 0.2 pKa ± 1.2 (as in the Jason’s paper on explicit
solvent pH-REMD) for 20 ns. Results between CpHMD and pH-REMD are
consistent and here I will just show the pH-REMD results.

Basically, I do not see significant differences in the calculated pKa
whether I add explicit ions or not (_salt here means in the presence of 0.1
M of explicit NaCl):

        Lys Lys_salt Cys Cys_salt Glu Glu_salt His
 His_salt
pKa 10.35 10.38 8.35 8.34 4.82 4.82 6.31 6.31
n 1.01 1.00 1.02 1.01 0.96 0.97 1.01
1.01

I do find it a bit surprising as, after all, I would have expected that the
presence of ions interacting with the titrable residues would make some
differences as my early results suggested, nonetheless these much more
thorough simulations suggest the effect is negligible.

Please note that I did not include error bars by either dividing the
pH-REMD trajectories into small chunks or by running multiple simulations.
However, the good agreement between the predicted pKa values obtained from
pH-REMD and from CpHMD (the values agree at a maximum of ± 0.03 pK units)
suggests that dividing the pH-REMD into chunks would lead to similar
variations.

However, I am now a bit concerned by the shift between calculated and
theoretical pKa, especially in the case of Glu (4.8 calculated instead of
the 4.4 it has been parametrised for), and to a lesser extend His (6.3 vs.
6.5). Are those kinds of deviations within the accuracy of the method? I
would have expected deviations of no more than ± 0.1 pK units.

I thought this could be due to the force field, as I am using ff14SB (see
this post for more details: http://archive.ambermd.org/201611/0108.html),
so I repeated the simulations with the original ff10 force field

         Lys_ff10 Cys_ff10 Glu_ff10 His_ff10
pKa 10.39 8.52 4.90 6.39
n 1.01 1.01 0.97 1.02

In the case of Lys, Glu and His, the results are similar between the two
force fileds, suggesting that ff14SB can be used for constant pH MD.
However, the pKa of Cys is slightly higher with ff10 than with ff14SB,
could it be somehow because the unprotonated Cys is not defined in the
standard ff14SB?

Nonetheless the pKa of Glu is still quite high compared with the
theoretical one. Could it be a problem with the parametrisation of GL4 in
amber 16?

I would really appreciate if you could share your opinion on either or not
these differences should be considered problematics and if some fine tuning
of the parameters / reparametrisation would be useful.

I am happy to share my input/output files if needed.

Many thanks in advance,

Eric