Re: [AMBER] Number of threads in MMGBSA/MMPBSA calculations.

From: Abhilash J <md.scfbio.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 19:29:06 +0530

Hi Elvis and others,

   I also did not find a way to separate the two calculations. What i am
saying is:
    1. Is such a separation possible by making a some changes in source
code and recompiling. If it is not too technical i am willing to try.
    2. Will it be possible to incorporate such a change in future releases
of AMBER.

  I just found an example to illustrate my point. Let me share it.
Following is the result of GB+Entropy calculations on a 350ns run on a ~280
residue protein with 5 threads.

Timing:
Total setup time: 0.000 days
Creating trajectories with cpptraj: 0.026 days
Total calculation time: 2.368 days

Total GB calculation time: 1.587 days
Total quasi-harmonic calculation time: 0.746 days

Statistics calculation & output writing: 0.000 days
Total time taken: 2.394 days

  Enthalpy calculation took 1.587 days i.e. double of entropy (.7 days). If
the two can be separated (entropy and enthalpy) then the entropy can be
calculated in .7 days by doubling the number of threads (i know scaling is
not linear so time will be bit more). But it will save .7 day. In fact the
nodes i am using i can give upto 16 threads (its a 2 socket each 8 cores).
But for now it is not possible as it will stall entropy due to RAM
constraints.
   I hope some MM(GB/PB)SA/ developer in the mailing list might be able to
help us in this.

Regards

Abhilash