Re: [AMBER] QM method used for force constants derivation in GAFF2 ?

From: Junmei Wang <junmwang.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:04:30 -0600

In GAFF, the bond stretching and bond angle bending force constants come
from protein/nucleic acid force fields (FF94, FF99) whenever possible. For
those not having any counterparts in FF94/FF99, we used a set of empirical
formulae (please refer to the GAFF paper) to calculate the force
constants. The parameters of those formulae were derived to reproduce the
existing force constants in FF94/FF99.

However, in GAFF2, we adopted a different philosophy to derive those
parameters (26 in total). We optimized those parameters to minimize the
differences between the calculated MM frequencies and the ab initio ones
(the training set has 572 small molecules and 22407 frequencies in total).
We also tested the best parameter set with a large test set (711 molecules,
29000 frequencies). The ab initio frequencies were obtained at B3LYP/6-31G*
level. We could reduce the RMS errors from 120 cm-1 for GAFF to 60 cm-1 for
both the training and test sets.

We are now doing a set of evaluation for GAFF2, which will be a part of the
GAFF2 paper. I agree with you that GAFF is more consistent with the current
protein/nucleic acid force fields. And the difference between GAFF and
GAFF2 for c3-c3 is very big.

Hopefully this can help you to choose a proper version of GAFF force field
in your study.

Junmei