Re: [AMBER] REMD with pressure coupling

From: Neale, Christopher Andrew <cneale.lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:12:50 +0000

Dear Users:

I was able to get T-REMD running in the NPT ensemble by commenting out the error message in src/pmemd/src/mdin_ctrl_dat.F90

< if (ntp .gt. 0) then
<
< write(mdout, '(a,a)') error_hdr, 'REMD cannot be run with ntp > 0!'
< inerr = 1
<
< end if

However, the job halts after about 70 ns/replica with the following message:

  ERROR: Calculation halted. Periodic box dimensions have changed too much from their initial values.
  Your system density has likely changed by a large amount, probably from
  starting the simulation from a structure a long way from equilibrium.

>From trajectories, the system doesn't seem to be "blowing up" in an integration failure sense, so I presume that what is happening is simply that the though since temperatures are exchanged rather than coordinates (and hence the box is not exchanged) it is not clear to me how this would be effected by T-REMD. I see that the relevant error message is in src/pmemd/src/cuda/gpu.c and I am planning on simply commenting out this error message as well. However, I have some concerns about the following additional message that was printed to stderr/stdout as my job was halted:

  The GPU code does not automatically reorganize grid cells and thus you
  will need to restart the calculation from the previous restart file.
  This will generate new grid cells and allow the calculation to continue.
  It may be necessary to repeat this restarting multiple times if your system
  is a long way from an equilibrated density.

It is not entirely clear to me what this means. I have no problem starting again from the beginning, so I am not in need of a way to generate new grid cells, but I am wondering if this will somehow effect a T-REMD run with pressure coupling (as in whether it will for e.g. mean that nonbonded interactions are missed rather than simply degrading performance). I would appreciate it if anybody has some ideas about the importance of (a) the PBC dimensions changing too much or (b) this comment about reorganizing grid cells.

The largest recorded positive change in volume: (18% increase) initial at t0 = 382379.4994 and at some point during the run, 450850.8417
The largest recorded negative change in volume: (13% decrease) initial at t0 = 442839.6928 and at some point during the run, 385643.6992
Note that I started each replica with a conformation (and box size) that had been equilibrated already at the starting temperature for that replica.

>From the logs that I have, I don't see any largest change immediately before the halt, though I also don't save the energies (and hence the volumes) every step. In the table that follows, first column is replica, second column is *max* volume difference from t to t+50 ps, and third column is the *last* such volume difference recorded before the halt.
$ for ((i=1;i<=60;i++)); do REP=$(printf "%03d" $i); grep VOLUME MD.mdout.$REP | awk '{if(NR!=1){d=$NF-last;if(d<0)d*=-1.0;print NR,d};last=$NF}'> tmp; max=$(cat tmp |sort -n -k 2 |tail -n 1 | awk '{print $2}'); last=$(cat tmp|tail -n 1 |awk '{print $2}'); echo $REP $max $last; done
001 5717.14 1331.61
002 7965.82 1732.08
003 5118.88 2178.76
004 5196.47 1858.21