[AMBER] Fwd: AmberTools 16: IBM XL Compiler Support

From: James Ostrander <jlost.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 15:52:02 -0500

Hi, I am trying to use AmberTools on an IBM POWER8 system (ppc64le). IBM's
compilers produce the fastest machine code for this system, so I always try
to use them first.

AmberTools seems to have no direct support for the IBM XL compilers
although it does offer out-of-the-box options for Intel, Clang, etc. I also
had a quick look at the build system and it seems non-trivial to manually
configure or add your own (unless I'm just missing something!).

So from there, I have a few questions:
- I didn't see any options in configure --full-help that suggested a direct
compiler override. Am I missing something?
- If not, are there any plans to support IBM's compilers?
- If not, and someone offered you a patch that added support, would you be
willing to accept it into the official codebase?
- If so, is there any specific guidance you can offer that would get
someone started on adding the support?

Thanks,
--
*James Ostrander*