Re: [AMBER] About multiconformations RESP fitting

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:27:01 -0500

I don't think that a simple averaging is quite what you'd get if you were
to fit both conformations simultaneously, equally weighted. But, it's also
not surprising that you get very different results by fitting to both as
opposed to just the one. REsP is more stable than its boisterous cousin
ESP, but there is still a high dependence on the input conformations. When
I fitted charges for amino acids, I took twenty conformations of each of
them (500 conformations across twenty amino acids plus other protonated
forms--it was a big matrix problem). Much of this depends on how flexible
and polarizable your system is. If there is a high degree of electronic
polarization, then there could be a problem making a fixed charge model at
all, but in general if the molecule is flexible you're going to expose
different surfaces with different conformations, which will implicitly
weight the importance of particular charges differently, so even if there
is no polarization a flexible molecule will have conformational dependence
in REsP fitting which can only be removed by sampling.

Dave