Re: [AMBER] The parameters for the fully protonated phosphate group

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:22:47 -0500

This sounds like the old problem that CHARMM had with 1:4 electrostatics
defeating angle terms and allowing a proton with no Lennard-Jones
parameters to collapse into an oxygen. If you can attach your topology and
coordinates this would be helpful, but before you do that try running your
minimization printing the energy at each step (ntpr = 1). If the
electrostatics are shooting through the roof that would corroborate my
guess. There are a number of solutions I could think of, but I'd have to
know more about the system first. If the problem is what I have guessed,
then you will need new parameters for the system at some level, but again
I'd have to know more about what is there.

If this is simply a problem related to the hydrogen:oxygen bond stretching
to permit the collapse, then you're probably OK if you just set the bond
stiffness to be very high during energy minimization and then run dynamics
with SHAKE. If the bonded parameters are all normal looking and this still
happens, though (which is pretty conceivable to me, as the phosphate is
going to have large charges on the oxygens as well as the hydroxyl protons
which will create a very strong electrostatic attraction), then you will
need some more rigorous parameter development.

Dave