Re: [AMBER] MMGBSA decomposition analysis

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 16:27:51 -0500

you're right that it isn't decomposable, because moving one atom can change
the effective radii of many atoms, and that changes all of their pairwise
interactions. I think the point of doing the decomposition is to assume
that the major change is in the direct interactions, and these are
accumulated pairwise. this assumes that the effective radii are constants,
at least in that structure. you get the information about the strength of
an interaction, including solvent screening, under the assumption that
nothing else changes. it can be very informative, but you're correct that
it is not rigorously correct and is more of a first order approximation.