Re: [AMBER] setup time with pmemd.cuda

From: Daniel Mermelstein <danmermelstein35.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:54:43 -0700

Hi Hannes,

Yeah, it should be just igb = 6. I can look into that. It was working okay
for me with a simple system of butane to propane, but I'd been focusing on
the GPU TI/FEP stuff and didn't think anyone was using this so I kind of
forgot to test it further, but I can go back to it now and fix whatever the
issue is. Sorry about that and thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Would you mind sending me your prmtop/inpcrd?

Thanks,

Dan Mermelstein

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 2:05 AM, Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk
> wrote:

> Many thanks. I will have a look and see what I can do. The primary
> purpose of this card is to be a graphics card but we will want to do
> some benchmarks on it. It looks though like the final timings are valid
> even with the long initial timeout.
>
> BTW, offtopic: I have reported a few problems and bugs in the AMBER
> bug database. Some seem to have been fixed with the AMBER16 release
> but not ticked off. Others have not been commented on or confirmed.
> It would be good to get some feedback on those.
>
> One feedback from me: the TI/FEP code doesn't seem to work properly in
> vacuum. Some end-point gas phase geometries in some cases are severely
> distorted. But to be sure I do not misunderstand how gas-phase TI
> needs to be set up I append a input file. I thought that all that needs
> to be done is to set igb=6.
>

> TI simulation
> &cntrl
> imin = 0, nstlim = 1000000, irest = 0, ntx = 1, dt = 0.001,
> ntt = 3, temp0 = 298.0, gamma_ln = 2.0, ig = -1,
> ntb = 0, cut = 9999.0, igb = 6,
> ioutfm = 1, iwrap = 0,
> ntwe = 10000, ntwx = 10000, ntpr = 1000, ntwr = 500000, ntave =
> 500000,
>
> ntc = 2, ntf = 1, tishake = 1,
> noshakemask = ':1,2',
>
> icfe = 1, ifsc = 1, clambda = 0.00, scalpha = 0.5, scbeta = 12.0,
> ifmbar = 2, bar_intervall = 1000,
> timask1 = ':1', timask2 = ':2',
> scmask1 = ':1.N3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10,H14,H15,H16,H17,H18,H19',
> scmask2 = '',
> /
> &ewald
> /
>

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 09:17:00 -0400
> Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, it is encouraging that the windows-fix did not work :)
> >
> > Perhaps it is time for profiling - start with cpu profiling since it
> > is easy; i don't know much about gpu profiling:
> > https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-profiling-tools-interface
> >
> > other search hits:
> > https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/696488/first-
> cuda-function-call-very-slow-more-than-a-minute-on-gtx-680-only/
> >
> > scott
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Hannes Loeffler wrote:
> > > Hi Ross,
> > >
> > > Ok, I have turned off ... the network driver (ifconfig eth0 down)...
> > >
> > > Not clear to me still though what is going on here. DNS resolution
> > > works fine with the host utility or gethostbyname(2).
> > >

> > > Many thanks,
> > > Hannes.

Daniel J. Mermelstein M.Sc
Ph.D. Student - McCammon & Walker Groups
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of California, San Diego