Re: [AMBER] Amber16: COM's in GPU version

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 08:05:43 -0700

Yes that's correct - you can only do distance based restraints with COM groups. You can do regular angle and dihedral restraints just not involving COM groups.

As Feng Pan points out one can use the ncsu_pmd code which was made available as part of update.4 for pmemd.cuda - although this uses different syntax to the nmr restraints. It also uses the upload / download routines on every step so is copying to and from the GPU to the CPU and using the CPU to calculate the restraints on each step. As such the performance may suffer a LOT - although I have not personally checked this.

Note it would be a fairly simple thing I believe to just do the same thing for COM angle and dihedral restraints with the GPU code - just have it upload / download. Could probably add this in a day or so if people are really interested in using it - although this would probably halve performance (maybe more) depending on the size of the system being simulated.

If someone wants to volunteer to write angle and dihedral COM GPU kernels that would be awesome.

All the best
Ross