Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA analysis for a heme protein

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 07:50:03 -0400

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016, Smriti Sharma wrote:

> I am trying to compute binding energy of ligand covalently bound in hexa
> coordinated heme protein. (Fe attached to 4 porphyrin N, 1 bonded with
> proximal His and 1 with ligand).

You cannot do this with molecular mechanics, which does not understand the
thermodynamics of covalent bond formation.

You could think about estimating the *difference* in binding energy between
a model heme compound, and the corresponding proteing complex. There is a
very old paper that attempted this:

%A M.A. Lopez
%A P.A. Kollman
%T Application of molecular dynamics and free energy perturbation methods to
metalloprotein-ligand systems II: CO and dioxygen binding to myoglobin
%J Protein Sci.
%V 2
%P 1975-1986
%D 1993

This assumes that the intrisic bond energy between iron and CO is unchanged
when the protein is present, adding strain to the iron-porphyrin system.
I'm not convinced that this is a good assumption, since the geometry of CO
binding changes (going from linear to bent).

There may be more recent papers on this subject: be sure to do a thorough
literature search.

It is possible to use mm/pbsa to look at this, although you would probably
want to do it "by hand" first.

...regards...dac