Re: [AMBER] Question about QM/MM

From: Fabrício Bracht <fabracht1.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 14:34:20 -0300

Indeed it is. But I have been doing some testings, and was about to ask
this in the list myself. When doing reaction paths with umbrella sampling,
I have found that the coordinates with high energy values on the reaction
path have a really (really really) high tendency on exploding. I tried
loads of different starting configurations and found that, in most cases,
adding a previous minimization, with the umbrella restraints on, solved
this problem. I did this in two different ways. The first was adding a
nmropt coupling to slowly increase the temperature, and the second I only
set the temperature to the final value I wanted and started the simulation
anyways. See that in both cases the simulation time for the QM/MM umbrella
window had to be increased to accommodate the thermalization. I didn't
expect that the simulation with no slow thermalization to finish, but, for
my surprise, those were the ones that worked without any errors. By my
calculations, I lost less time doing this minimization procedure and
increasing the simulation time than repeatedly restarting crashed
simulations.
I did this for a reaction I had already calculated the PMF and the results
were very, very similar. The reaction barrier increased by 0.2 kcal/mol and
the deltaPMF(final-initial) increased by 0.2.
I did this by sheer curiosity, as I had already done this simulation and I
knew the system quite well. But I found the results quite interesting.
What do you guys think?

Fabrício