Re: [AMBER] MASK with distance in AMBER.

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:38:20 -0600

Hi,

What you want to calculate is not straightforward (or easy) to do, but
I believe it is possible. Essentially you want to calculate the
auto-correlation function for water dipole vectors *only* when they
are within a certain distance from solute, correct? In order to do
this you will need to filter out waters when they are outside a
certain distance. Also, the trajectories should be continuous, so you
can't actually use closest (since the ordering of the waters changes
based on the distance to solute) and you may have to calculate
multiple auto-correlation functions for the same water (and probably
exclude those whose residence time is "short"). The way I would
approach it is this. In my example residues 1 to 4 is solute, residue
8 will be the solvent molecule.

For each water (in this case residue 8):
1) Calculate the minimum distance between the water and solute atoms
using the 'nativecontacts' command and 'mindist' keyword:
nativecontacts :1-4 :8.O name distD8 includesolvent mindist

This will generate a data set named distD8[mindist].

2) You can then use this data set to filter out frames that are
outside a given cutoff with 'filter':
filter distD8[mindist] min 0.0 max 6.0 out filter.dat name filterD8

The next step is the tricky part. You'll need to create a script to
give you the range of frames where the distance criterion is met. I'll
give a example using awk:
awk 'BEGIN{ alive = 0; }
{
  frame = $1;
  if ( alive == 0 ) {
    if ($2 == 1)
      alive = $1;
  } else {
    if ($2 == 0) {
      printf("Range: %i to %i is %i frames\n", alive, $1 - 1, $1 - alive);
      alive = 0;
    }
  }
}END{
  if (alive != 0)
    printf("Range: %i to %i is %i frames\n", alive, frame, frame - alive + 1);
}' filter.dat

You can decide how many frames is long enough and then choose those
frame ranges to read into cpptraj and calculate the dipole with
'vector dipole', then calculate the autocorrelation with 'timecorr'.
This would be done for each water. Then you'll average all the
different time correlation functions. I *think* this will work but
again I'm not certain and haven't really tested it out.

Hope this helps,

-Dan