Re: [AMBER] Question about usage of external QM in QM/MM

From: Dr. Andreas W. Goetz <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 14:17:21 -0700

The solvent cap should be large enough to solvate the entire protein and keep it solvated during the simulation, such that only water will be at the vacuum boundary. The question is whether you prefer to simulate a protein in a highly concentrated solution or in a tiny water droplet. I am not generally advising against using PBC with a large qmcut value for NVT simulations, which is common practice. But you should be aware that there are discontinuities in the potential energy surface. The error due to the use of approximate force fields and QM Hamiltonians is most likely larger.

All the best,
Andy

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
Assistant Project Scientist