Re: [AMBER] Calculating lipid diffusion using stfcdiffusion

From: Amy Rice <arice3.hawk.iit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:34:14 -0500

Hi Callum and Dan,
Thank you both for getting back to me!

I have gone back and tried using the "diffusion" routine. For this, I use
the exact same cpptraj input as above, except instead of the
'stfcdiffusion' line, I use 'diffusion mask .1-16740 out diffusion_top.dat
time 100 noimage'. The plotted MSD in xy is calculated as: sqrt(X^2 + Y^2),
which I believe should be the correct way to determine it. As you can see,
when using the top leaflet both diffusion and stfcdiffusion result in
similar, but slightly different plots (see the attached figure
LPS_comparison.pdf); the diffusion coefficient I calculate from them is 1.3
x10^(-10) cm^2/s and 1.9 x10^(-10) cm^2/s, respectively. However, diffusion
and stfcdiffusion produce very different plots for the bottom leaflet. The
diffusion routine gives the general shape that I would expect, and very
similar to what I see when using the top leaflet. I'm not sure why
stfcdiffusion gives something wildly different for the bottom leaflet. This
diffusion/stfcdiffusion difference is consistent for both of my bilayer
systems (mLPS_comparison.pdf, attached).

As far as my thought process behind centering the trajectory after I unwrap
it- I found that this step is necessary for two reasons. First, the two
leaflets of the bilayer have a tendency to "caterpillar" across each other,
meaning they have COM motion relative to each other. I believe this is part
of the problem I'm having when I use 'stfcdiffusion' on the full bilayer,
which is why I started looking at the individual leaflets instead. The
second reason I center the trajectory is that the simulation box itself
seems to move around with respect to the origin. What I mean is that, if I
visualize the unwrapped trajectory in VMD, the bilayer patch floats around
seemingly at random in x, y, and z. I agree that it seems like I should be
able to calculate diffusion from the unwrapped system directly, but in
practice this gives MSD plots that don't really make sense (see the
attached *_nocenter.pdf for example- these were made using the exact same
commands as before, just with commenting out the 'center' step). This
behavior occurs in both of my bilayer systems, though I'm not entirely sure
why the box moves around like this.

Thank you,
Amy