Re: [AMBER] bad atom type decomp

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 14:27:55 -0400

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Bruno Falcone <brunofalcone.qo.fcen.uba.ar>
wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if someone got a chance to look at my question.
> Speficically, if I go the recompilation route, what vdw radius should I
> use for iodine?

​The radii you refer to are used to define the solvent/solute boundary (it
is the radius of the iodine atom when defining the SASA). There are a lot
of precision issues with the non-polar solvation free energy model -- the
fit to the simple linear fit of nonpolar solvation energy to SASA model is
not particularly accurate (although not horrible), the effect of a single
iodine atom in the entire molecule will be pretty minimal, and a
"decomposed" surface area -- particularly for pairwise decomposition -- is
challenging to even conceptualize.

​So my advice is this: choose something that seems reasonable -- even if
there *is* some best definition of a "correct" choice here, if you pick a
radius that is reasonable then the effect of not choosing the "best" value
will be dwarfed by the effect of the other sources of error and
approximations here.

HTH,
Jason​

​P.S.:
Note that what I'm saying here applies to single-point energy calculations
with a lot of pretty large approximations -- I'm certainly not suggesting
​​
such a cavalier attitude
​to picking parameters for force fields in general.