Re: [AMBER] Amber 8 on RHEL 6

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 21:03:59 -0400

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM, <boyken.divms.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I have been tasked to install Amber 8 (yes, 8) on a machine running RedHat
> Enterprise Linux 6.5. Is this possible? Or do I need to tell the person who
> gave me this assignment that they need to buy Amber 14? Thanks.

To my knowledge, Amber 8 has only one feature that is missing in later
versions: RAMD. And even this I believe is only available as a
post-translational modification on top of the released Amber 8 code (what I
mean by that is that it's a patch released by a third party that will
modify Amber 8 to implement RAMD).

But the challenges you face just installing Amber 8, coupled with the fact
that you will receive little if any support for a code that pre-dates many
of the graduate students and post-docs currently working on Amber, will
almost certainly render this a wasted effort (the first version I ever used
was 9).

If RAMD is indeed what you're looking for, you're almost certainly better
off trying a different package that has a maintained version (like NAMD).
If RAMD is not necessary, then AmberTools 16 (as Hai mentioned, released
for free) has every feature Amber 8 has and many more, albeit with slightly
worse performance on CPU clusters.

HTH,