Re: [AMBER] Problem Running MMPBSA.py

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 08:45:06 -0400

I'll just add a little to what Dwight said. The way the mask guessing
function operates is to take the ligand sequence and insert it into each
position of the receptor sequence. A match is detected when this composite
sequence matches the complex, and the masks are chosen based on where the
ligand was inserted.

It starts at the end of the receptor and works its way to the beginning
(since usually the receptor comes first in the sequence and the ligand
comes at the end). This strategy works in the vast majority of cases. And
if this strategy *should* work, but it appears not to, then it is a virtual
certainty that there is something wrong with your topology files (maybe you
forgot to remove ions or waters, wrong tautomeric/protomeric states for
some of your residues, some missing or extra atoms in the unbound states
that are not in the bound state, etc.). The main impetus for adding this
functionality was actually to serve as an error catch to provide a helpful
avenue for debugging (by letting you know that your topology files are
wrong).

Furthermore, it should be obvious when this strategy *won't* work, and when
you need to specify these masks yourself. Examples include:

- There are multiple ligands with the same name, and you don't want to
analyze the one that comes last in the sequence.

- What you call the "ligand" is comprised of multiple residues that are not
continuous in the complex sequence. Perhaps you have a dimer and each
monomer has a ligand, and you want to treat both ligands as the "ligand" in
MM/PBSA. If the sequence is monomer-ligand-monomer-ligand, you will need to
specify your own ligand and receptor masks.

- Your prmtop files have different residue names for the same residue. For
instance, maybe the complex calls histidines "HIS" while the receptor has
them labeled as "HIE". (This is really a problem with prmtop generation in
my opinion, though).

So my advice is to take a look at some of your topology files that do not
work and see if you can determine why the algorithm it uses to detect the
receptor and ligand masks do not work. Hopefully it will be obvious why
such an approach would not work (and you then have to set receptor_mask and
ligand_mask by hand), or it reveals some kind of error in some of your
topology files.

HTH,
Jason