Re: [AMBER] ff12SB force field

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:48:59 -0400

The force field you load will be applied to your "ligand" molecules,
including all water molecules in the simulation. If you feel that liganded
water molecules have different characteristics than water molecules far
away from the protein ("in the bulk"), this is an age-old debate about
whether explicit accounting for polarization is needed. You are definitely
on the right track, but even in the case you are looking at the "liganded"
water molecule will probably exchange many times with solvent waters, and
if the electron distribution or precise molecular shape of the ligand water
change upon binding, then the newly liganded water will take on those
characteristics and the formerly liganded water will return to its "normal"
state in the bulk. Your simulation must anticipate that the liganded water
molecule will exchange in the same way, so without full treatment of
polarization (Amoeba, or one of the CHARMM community's SWM4 models, for
instance) all of the waters must be the same and a water model that gets
the right bulk properties is the appropriate choice.

Now, as to the particulars of how you might proceed:

- Use ff14SB, no ff12SB as Carlos said (12 was a milestone on the evolution
of 14)
- If you don't like TIP3P, no one will really hold a grudge if you instead
use SPC/E with ff14SB.
- In order to use SPC/E, you will need to source leaprc.water.spce in your
tleap input AFTER sourcing ff14SB

Note that sourcing leaprc.water.spce will also load a different frcmod file
containing ion parameters optimized for SPC/E water. Again, this applies
to interactions between the ions and bulk water, and is not necessarily the
best for the bound ions your system contains. However, if you've got to
choose one way to model the ions, their characteristics in bulk water are
the way to go.

Good luck!

Dave