Re: [AMBER] running charmm force field in amber

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 17:50:23 -0700

Hi Neha,

FTR I disagree strongly with the conclusions of the Charmm GUI paper - it is nothing but trying to exploit fortuitous cancellation of error so I wouldn't read too much into the various settings etc that are needed there. Consider what the results might have been if they had used say POPC (which is much more tolerant of cutoff) instead of DPPC (which in the charmm force field is super sensitive to cutoff) - you'd get an entirely different set of recommended simulation conditions.

There is no reason to believe that you would not be fine using a standard hard truncation of VDW for simulating IDP with CHARMM22* in AMBER.

If you are really worried you can wait a few weeks for AMBER 16 which supports charmm force switch for VDW. If you are super paranoid you could then compare with or without the force switch - although be aware that most of the differences you sill will likely be attributable to sampling error.

You could also try FF14SB and avoid the worries.

All the best
Ross