Re: [AMBER] geforce 970 versus 780

From: Gerald Monard <Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 23:12:19 +0200

Hi,

On 03/09/2016 08:14 PM, George Green wrote:
> I was thinking of getting a geforce 970 instead of a 980 as my funds are
> limited. I am only running relatively small systems so don't think the
> memory limit should be a problem
>
> Does anyone perhaps know what the speed of the 970 is compared to a 780?

It happens that I have both cards (some of my 780 literally burned and
were replaced by 970s'). I don't really see much differences between the
two cards in terms of performance, the 970 is slightly better (~+2%).

On the good side: GTX 970 seems to heat less that 780 (they don't burn
in my DELL cases!)
On the bad side (to be confirmed by Scott Le Grand): 970 have some
memory issue where you cannot use all the memory at the same speed.

See for example:
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

Gerald.

> Many thanks!