Re: [AMBER] membrane protein problem

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:51:14 -0400

I think others have made the important points here, but I'll just try to
clarify a bit. There is a distinction between a molecular dynamic
simulation and an X-ray structure. In the MD simulation, we track each
individual molecule on its journey throughout the simulation cell. In an
X-ray structure, we track the average density of matter, not knowing which
molecule it came from or even what type of molecule it came from. All of
the X-ray structures you see have been refined by making inferences about
the known composition of the crystal and the known masses of the elements
and basic sub-arrangements in them.

Therefore, if you do an RMS fit of your simulation around your protein and
then compute the average positions of all residues, you might expect to be
able to see which components of the protein itself are relatively
stationary and which parts are floppy (the RMS fluctuations of each atom
are what you'd look at: if they're small, then they're more or less
stationary and the local, average structure will be something
recognizable--if they're big the average structure will probably look
weird). If you want to compute an average density, you will need to use
some of cpptraj's histogram tools (think in terms of three-dimensional
histograms, making bins with counts of water and lipid molecules relative
to the average structure of the protein). Another analysis that might be
of interest to you is clustering. Try out the "cluster" command and see
what you can do.

Dave