Re: [AMBER] On alphabetizing impropers

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:47:20 -0400

It seems that Dave Case's insight is important:

"The only invariant thing you can do with a torsion (proper or improper) is
to reverse it: ABCD == DCBA. All other permutations are different."

This jibes with the way the rest of Amber lines up impropers so that they
can be treated just like any other torsion. However, it seems I now have a
slightly different problem. In the topology that the student created,
which I have attached, it appears that there are BOTH proper and improper
torsions with atoms c3 na ca ca. I am reading the topology verbatim, and I
find the following dihedrals (without hydrogens):

  23 24 25 26 c3 c3 n4 c3
  23 24 25 27 c3 c3 n4 c3
  23 24 25 28 c3 c3 n4 c3
  22 1 4 8 c3 na ca ca
  22 1 2 5 c3 na ca ca
  22 1 -4 -2 c3 na ca ca

In the (abridged) list of dihedrals above, I have taken care to divide each
array index by three, add 1 if was positive, and subtract 1 if it was
negative. In this manner I am giving the atom numbers (first atom starting
at 1) of the atoms involved in various dihedrals, and making those indexes
negative if the topology is trying to tell me that the dihedral is an
improper. I then give the type of those same atoms, in the same order.
Note the final three dihedrals: these are the infamous "c3 na ca ca"
beasts. This exposes one vulnerability in mdgx parameter fitting, that
when it is confronted with a parm.dat file containing proper and improper
dihedrals with the same atom type sequence one will overwrite the other.
This may be my only problem, but that outcome seems like a long shot: when
I look at the way the TOPOLOGY itself has ordered the (22, 1, -4, -2)
dihedral (clearly an improper if you visualize those atoms in the PDB), the
atom typing is clearly not in alphabetical order. Let's posit the central
atom is ca: (c3, na, ca) is not alphabetical. Let's posit that the
improper dihedral should be reversed, per Dave Case's input: the sequence
would then na is the central atom, which is the correct if one looks at the
PDB (the nitrogen is central to the three carbons). However, the reverse
of the dihedral would then be "ca ca na c3" which is, again, not
alphabetical, unless I am supposed to take "a, b, c, ..., y, z, 1, 2, 3,
..." which doesn't seem to line up with the declarations I see in the
gaff.dat file (numbers go before letters in the ordering).

Anyone help sort this out? The fate of better small molecule force fields
may hang in the balance!

Thanks!

Dave