Re: [AMBER] On alphabetizing impropers

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 23:01:10 -0700

> 1.) Can anyone tell me a little more about the origins of this convention, or at least assure me that I'm doing the right thing in enforcing it?

We had to come up with a convention when we switched from explicitly defined, residue-based impropers to topologically-applied parameters, and Peter Kollman made the final call on the convention. I believe I raised the issue, since it arose in the work on leap and validating the new code against the old. You are doing the right thing in enforcing it in that consistency seems valuable.

Note that this form doesn't work for nonplanar impropers because placement is ambiguous when there are duplicate atom types. We decided to kick this problem down the road.

> 2.) Can anyone confirm that, for any atom types A, B, and D, an
improper A B C D is equivalent to an improper D B C A and also B D C A,
or any other permutation that leaves C in position 3?

I suspect the forces on the atoms in a given conformation might be
different with different ordering of the terms, but the goal of
enforcing planarity over time would be achieved either way.

Bill