Re: [AMBER] mmpbsa discrepancies

From: George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 13:44:02 +0100

Thank you Jason,

The objective of my simulation is to determine whether a particular compound (DEET) result in an increase of the binding energy of the two subunits of a homodimer. Part of DEET is extending into the interface of the two subunits of the homodimer.

Answering your question

> On 23 Mar 2016, at 02:45, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:

> ​It's unclear to me what you are defining as your "ligand". Is the water
> included in your receptor or ligand topology?

Topology of Receptor = subunit_A + DEET + water
Topology of Ligand = subunit_B + DEET + water

> An extra water molecule can
> make a fairly substantial difference in calculated binding energies using
> MM/PBSA or MM/GBSA. Both due to polar and nonpolar solvation
> contributions. Particularly if the water molecule is "floating out in
> space" in some of the frames. (It's not clear what you mean by "does not
> exchange", but only "85% occupancy"…)

Point taken. What I meant is that the water molecule forms bridged h-bonds with DEET and specific residues both subunits for ~85% of the trajectory time.

What surprised me is the big drop in the energy of binding of the two subunits that was observed after stripping the water molecules from the trajectory. I cannot explain how stripping the water molecule can have such as large effect on the binding of the two subunits particularly as the water molecules are not in contact with any of the protein interface residues.

Thank you once again for your attention

George