Re: [AMBER] protein-RNA complex simulation

From: Vlad Cojocaru <vlad.cojocaru.mpi-muenster.mpg.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 07:59:10 +0100

I would advise you to be careful when removing parts of an experimental structure (even if only hydrogens). Although you may be fine, there are things that can go wrong (e.g. protonation states) depending on how accurate is your experimental structure and how you add the missing parts later....

As for the errors you are getting, looks to me that you have some issues in your starting structure that need to be discussed with somebody more experienced before running lots of simulations to avoid that later your calculations will be skewed. TER cards mark the end of a chain. If you have multiple subunits/domains you need to add these cards in between them. If residues are missing, homology modelling might be what you need (as Tom said). But then, homology modeling maybe tricky if the missing parts have anything to do with the function of your protein

Bottomline, things may be more complicated and just running blindly over the setup procedure without a detailed understanding of your structure may give you problems later. As Tom said, do a a careful visual analysis of your structure before attempting building the topology to identify problems ...More, read carefully the original article describing the experimental structure to identify potential incompleteness (the article and also the beader of the PDB should tell you which parts are missing).

If you don't have anybody more experienced at your institution and will still be struggling, I can offer to look over your structure on Monday (if you send it on my email address).

Best
Vlad