Re: [AMBER] On Amber to Gromacs Parameter Conversion

From: Sarah Witzke <witzke.sdu.dk>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:57:24 +0000

Hi Robert,

Last year I wanted to play around with some of the different clustering algorithms in Gromacs.
I used the VMD plugin Topotool where you load your amber format .prmtop and .rst files in VMD, then use the TkConsole:
“package require topotools”; “topo writegmxtop mayflies.top”.
I need to underline that this is a quick and dirty trick (underlining ‘dirty’)! The obtained .top file is truncated and only suitable for analysis purposes!
From there you can use make_ndx to obtain an .ndx file and then grompp to get the .tpr file (note that you need to provide a .mdp file here).

I would, however, recommend you to stick with ParmEd. It is really powerful and the time spend to familiarise yourself with it (and python) now, will most likely be returned severalfold later on.

Also, I would recommend you to explain what sort of DNA analysis you would like to perform.
cpptraj has an ever growing list of analysis available and if that particular analysis is not implemented it could go on the wishlist and maybe help others later on :-)

All the best,
Sarah