[AMBER] How to interpret MMGBSA ligand binding free energy decomposition results

From: Zhang Marc <marczhang_md.zoho.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 18:08:08 +0100

Dear experts in Amber users group

I performed a 20 ns MD simulations of a ligand-protein complex system.

The ligand binding free energy was calculated using MMGBSA.

The energy was decomposed onto residues in the binding pocket for identifying residues important for ligand-protein interactions.

Now I have difficulties to interpret the decomposition result, as it suggested Threonine 119 is critical for both polar &amp; non-polar interactions.

Here is the part of the result:

Resides van der Waals Electrostatic Polar Solvation Non-Polar Solvation TOTAL

Thr119 -1.21 -2.37 0.27 -0.93 -4.23

But Threonine is a polar residue and it is seldomly contributes to hydrophobic interactions, as I was taught during biochemistry course.

Could you please help me figure out where the problem is?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

Marc