[AMBER] long bond lengths after parmed.py setMolecules command in metal-containing system

From: Arjun Narayanan <arjun.nufc.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:26:36 -0500

Hi all,

I set up a system using the Amber14 distribution for a metalloprotein. In
creating the system, I used the "bond" command in tleap to bond the metal
to a protein atom and a ligand. The system seemed fine looking at the
resulting files in VMD. I ran the simulation and got errors in cpptraj
trying to image atoms back into the box. This (as I found out in
retrospect) has been well-documented on this mailing list previously.

>From my understanding, the solution was to re-setup my system using the
setMolecules command in parmed.py. I did this, but when I loaded the new
prmtop and restrt file into VMD there were a lot of badly distorted bonds
with extremely long bond lengths. I confirmed this by loading these back
into parmed.py and using the checkValidity command. In particular, I get
errors such as the following:

LongBondWarning: Atoms (X) and (Y) are bonded ... but are 43.057 A apart.
This often indicates gaps in the original sequence and should be checked
carefully.

Has anyone observed this before? And what actions can I take to resolve
this?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Arjun Narayanan