Re: [AMBER] restraints in simulations

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:53:48 -0500

I think that could be very difficult and I would not expect it to work
well. when you restrain the ligand at a far distance, it can move in the
sphere surrounding the binding pocket, nothing keeps it in line with the
pocket, eventually it can run into the protein surface at a site other than
the pocket and get stuck there. in other words, distance is not a
sufficient progress variable to describe binding as it says nothing about
the angular coordinates that direct it toward the part of the protein with
the binding site. using it for unbinding can be better since it is more
constrained by sterics to exit the pocket as distance increases.