Re: [AMBER] Water diffusion constant obtained in Nose-Hoover thermostat in Amber14+AmberTools15

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 10:02:19 -0500

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016, jinfeng liu wrote:

> I performed liquid water dynamics using the latest
> Amber14+AmberTools15. I used the SPC/fw water model in Nose-Hoover
> thermostat (I found this thermostat in the latest Amber manual). But, the
> water diffusion constant calculated in 1 ns MD simulation was 0.15,
> comparing to the experimental value of 0.23 A^2/ps.

Using thermostats and barostats changes Newton's equations of motion, and
will invalidate attempts to understand time-dependent behavior. After
equilibration at the desired temperature and pressure, you will need to run
an NVE simulation, and analyze that to get dynamics.

> So, Can anyone help to explain why the calculated diffusion constant is
> much smaller than the experimental value ?

Be sure to check the papers that describe the SFC/fw model to make sure that
it is calibrated to obtain the experimental value. The tests you describe are
best used to compare the diffusion constant to the *calculated* values
reported in the literature.

...good luck...dac