Re: [AMBER] Problem when using lipid14 force filed in Amber 11

From: Benjamin D Madej <bmadej.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:26:36 +0000

Hi Bin,

As Ross just posted, POPS is not supported in the current version of Lipid14. Supported molecules are listed in the Amber manual. To reiterate, do not mix Lipid14 and Lipid11 parameters.

As Ross also stated, we have completed parameterization of PS will be released as an expansion to Lipid14. I am currently preparing the manuscript for publication and parameters will be released with AmberTools 16.

lipid14_supp.lib was not meant to be released with Amber 14 and just includes old topologies and charges from Lipid11. Do not use this file.

A couple more notes:
1. Some of the errors regarding POPS were because of the missing parameters. This is correct because Lipid14 does not have PS parameters.

2. A comment about the PDB file residue numbers. According to the PDB file specification (available on the RCSB PDB web site), each residue should have a unique residue number. The residue numbers are often listed incrementally increasing for each residue. To clarify, each tail and head group in Lipid14 is technically a PDB file residue. However, for the case of Lipid14 lipids with three residues, unique residue numbers is acceptable but not required for Leap. The following sequence, however is required:

Lipid 1 sn-1 tail
Lipid 1 head
Lipid 1 sn-2 tail
TER
Lipid 2 sn-1 tail
Lipid 2 head
Lipid 2 sn-2 tail
TER

I have tested this many times. The charmmlipid2amber.py script does not alter lipid residue numbers because Leap can automatically split the residues. Leap will also automatically assign topology and parameters as well as connect the residues.

Benjamin Madej
Postdoctoral Scholar
San Diego Supercomputer Center, UC San Diego