Re: [AMBER] HPC

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:33:48 -0700

Hi Sofia,

> 1. HPC-CPUs
> I would like to simulate a protein-ligand complex that is treated
> solvent explicitly (regular MD). Up to how many cores it is sensible to
> use? For example, if I run it on 1000 cores, will it be faster than run
> it on 800 cores?
> This HPC is new so they ask about the libraries required by Amber. I
> mentioned: gz, bz2, netcdf, xorg, fftw3 (guessing that g++, gcc and
> gfortran should be there). Any I forgot?
> And also, they ask about the maximum amount of memory per core
> during MD runs. No idea. I chose netcdf as the I/O strategy, am I
> right?

This is difficult question to answer since it depends on a huge number of different variables. For example what interconnect there is between nodes - the number of sockets and cores per node, the size of the simulation you are running, the specific settings of the simulation you are running etc.

Typically, for a system of say 400K atoms with a new interconnect - say FDR Infiniband, pmemd will scale to around 256 or so cores - that tends to be the limit. You can scale a little more by not using all the cores per node but then you leave a lot of resources idle. If you have GPUs on the system, and the job you want to run is supported by GPUs the GPUs will always beat the maximum you can get on CPU cores so I'd recommend running on GPUs whenever you can.

In terms of required libraries most things (fftw3, netcdf etc) are built by AMBER itself during the install - here's what I typically install on top of a basic Redhat/CentOS 6 install:

libXext-devel libXt-devel bzip2-devel zlib-devel gcc gcc-c++ gcc-gfortran flex libXdmcp libXdmcp-devel kernel-devel kernel-header tcl

That gets you pretty much everything you need that isn't typically there by default. You might need to add tcsh to that list if a c shell is not installed by default.

> 2. HPC-GPUs
> Same question goes here : up to how many GPUs in parallel? Do I have to
> use p2p in a multi-GPU node? Can you run 2 nodes in parallel?

This one is MUCH easier to answer since the entire GPU design has been to make this as simple as possible and remove as many variables as possible. Short answer - don't try to run a GPU calculation that spans multiple GPUs - even top end interconnects these days are too slow. Take a look at the following page for info:

http://ambermd.org/gpus/ which links to benchmarks etc as well as info on how best to run calculations. Unless you have specially designed hardware you will be likely be limited to two GPUs in the same node per GPU run. These need to be on the same PCI-E root complex - which typically means connected to the same processor socket. For most quad GPU systems with 2 CPUs you have two pairs of GPUs that can communicate via peer to peer. GPU 0 and 1, and then GPU 2 and 3. Thus you can typically run either 4 x 1 GPU runs per node or 2 x 2 GPU runs per node.

The only way to scale across multiple nodes with AMBER and GPUs is for more loosely coupled simulations such as Replica Exchange.

> 3. And ... just out of pure curiosity: has anyone used Xeon Phi
> Co-processors for running MD? Any results? Are they able to run energy
> calculations? Get it to work seems a bit of 'mission impossible'...

Yes Xeon Phi is supported - I am just about to add a page on Xeon Phi to the AMBER website. Amber 14 with latest updates will support Xeon Phi in native and offload modes. Performance improvement typically requires a minimum system size of about 400,000 atoms to see a benefit and then it is typically on the order of 20 to 30% improvement. There is info in the manual on the Xeon Phi support.

Hope that helps.

All the best
Ross

/\