Re: [AMBER] Multiplicity in QM/MM calculations

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:45:38 -0400

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Kshatresh Dutta Dubey <kshatresh.gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I have to assign spin=5 in QM/MM calculations using DFTB as QM/MM
> interface. How can I do it? If I am using qmcharge= -1, spin = 5, it is
> showing error as :
> parameter QMMM: (Spin multiplicity) has value 5
> This is outside the legal range
> Lower limit: 1 Upper limit: 1
> The limits may be adjustable; search in the .h files
>
> I am using Amber 14.
>
> I will be thankful for all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

​To my knowledge none of the semiempirical models in Amber support
multiplets. You will probably have to go through the external QM interface
and run a calculation with a program that *does* support non-singlet spin
states.

I'm not an expert with high-level quantum mechanical calculations, but with
high spins (and a spin multiplicity of 5) may require multireference
treatments -- you should consult the existing literature to see how people
have addressed your problems in the past.​ This could be a potentially
*very* challenging problem.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University