Re: [AMBER] [cpptraj] Nativecontacts failing with long trajectory

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:48:54 -0600

OK, based on your input I think I know what is happening here. You are
using an averaged structure as a reference, so that structure is changing
based on how many frames go into the average (which is why you see
different contact pairs reported when you increase the # of frames).

Using an averaged structure as a reference is a bad idea in my opinion.
They tend to be very unrealistic, particularly when there is significant
internal motion (e.g. a rotating PHE ring will "flatten out" and become
almost a straight line). You should use a real structure as your reference
for 'nativecontacts', otherwise the contacts you come up with will likely
not represent actual contacts. If your system has a crystal structure
available that may be a good candidate, or perhaps a properly equilibrated
structure.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

Daniel R. Roe, PhD